Monday, April 04, 2011

Driftwood

I was once a tree, in a dense old forest
And amongst equals, I stood tall
Rain and shine, fed me strength
Till the day their axes, chopped me to my fall

They hacked our leaves and our branches
And left nothing but our stumps in the ground
I dont know what they wanted
When they left us scathed and bare, no more tall, just long and round

They pushed us in the river
Her waters carrying us somewhere downstream
Till I found refuge on the banks
Amongst big rocks and some old memories and dreams

The others though had resigned
To whatever it was their fates had deemed
None stopped for refuge
Though of them I pleaded and screamed

As winter came by
And the waters took a chill
I saw the last of my friends float down
The last one to fall from our hill

My spirit slowly was broken
As rain and shine weakened me now
A rot in me had settled
And the futility of my situation I saw

Then one day the river swelled
When the rains poured down hard
And I let myself be washed out of my rocky lagoon
Rotten, battered and scarred

I floated downstream on the current
Saw none of the friends that I'd hoped I would
And I closed my eyes one last time
As all spirit left me and I resigned to fate like all those others, just another driftwood...

6 comments:

RiĆ  said...

Sometimes we have to resign to our fate....so true and very well written.

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

:)
I was half asleep last night when I dreamt of being a tree...got up and wrote it down right then! :P

Sara said...

I'm not a great fan of poetry, but I must admit I really enjoyed reading this.

Nice blog.

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

Hahaha...that's quite the compliment there! Thank you! :)

Sneha Shrivastava said...

I am sure an artistic eye will convert the fate of driftwood into a marvelous masterpiece.:)

very well written.:)

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

:)
An artistic eye and a masterpiece? HeeHehe...
You're earning a lotta brownie points!