Saturday, August 23, 2008

Random Thoughts while on Vacation!

1. I don’t understand why people want to cling onto the notions and beliefs and ways of the past. They want to stay with the old traditions, maintain the same old ways and search for wisdom in the ways of civilizations long gone by. In my opinion, it’s a classic case of the grass being greener on the other side. I would have liked to make this a long ranting post complete with examples et al, however I am in no mood to bore myself with all that…I am in Poona after all and I have a whole lot of other things on my mind right now. Hence, for all those who would like to restore ways of the past, maybe you oughta remember that the people back then have striven for the life you are enjoying. Why, in God’s name, would you want to insult their intelligence and change it back to what it was? Be happy where you are.
2. For the past umpteen days, I have been consistently having dreams where while everything is perfectly fine, my mouth is suddenly filled with an intolerable quantity of chewing gum, that no matter how hard I try, I can’t spit out. Well, in tune with my dreams being a prelude to what is to come, I made a trip to the dentist to get my teeth capped. In order to get a print of my teeth, he stuffed my mouth with putty that felt exactly like chewing gum…so much of it and no matter how much I tried, I couldn’t spit it out!
3. My views on economics and why I think social benefit as a concept is ridiculous. Robin-Hood (i.e. taking from the rich and giving to the poor) is good to hear in story books but not in an economic sense. Why would you take hard-earned money and give it to those who haven’t earned it? I know everyone doesn’t have the same privileges and the same access to good education, etc. but does that mean that you give it to people who haven’t earned the dues they get? That would only encourage complacency wouldn’t it? I mean look at the US and their sub-prime fiasco! That’s what happens when people don’t understand the worth of what they are getting. Don’t worry about the large strides that India is making and the benefits not filtering down to the grass-roots. There isn’t a switch that would ensure those below the poverty line will also get something if Mr. Mittal is buying a castle in London. Ensure health-care and education are easily accessible, the rest will follow naturally. Freebies, I do not support.

No comments: